| 9°C Dublin

sentence due Dublin delivery driver was attacked after refusing to bring fast food order to customer’s door, court hears

The court heard the delivery man was punched "three to four times in the face" after he refused to bring a fast food order to the accused's door.

Close

Adebayo Adebolu leaves court after pleading guilty to attacking food delivery man. Picture: Tom Tuite

Adebayo Adebolu leaves court after pleading guilty to attacking food delivery man. Picture: Tom Tuite

Adebayo Adebolu leaves court after pleading guilty to attacking food delivery man. Picture: Tom Tuite

A DELIVERY man was attacked in Dublin after he refused to bring a fast food order to a customer’s door, a court has heard.

Adebayo Adebolu, 28, with an address at Basin Street flats, Dublin 8, pleaded guilty on Thursday to assault causing harm which happened on November 3 last year.

Presenting prosecution evidence, Garda Sergeant Niall Murphy told Dublin District Court that the victim, 30, was a delivery driver.

He arrived at Basin Street and rang the accused to tell him to collect a food order from his car. It was thought that this was the delivery company’s policy, the court heard.

Adebolu “demanded it be brought to his door”.

The driver refused and Adebolu went down to him and “punched him three to four times in the face”.

The victim was cut and bleeding after the the attack.

He had soft tissue injuries and after treatment with anti-inflammatories, he recovered after two weeks. A medical report was handed in to court.

Judge Treasa Kelly accepted jurisdiction for the case to be dealt with at district court level.

Defence solicitor Michael Kelleher said his client was offering a guilty plea and “anxious to dispose of the matter”.

Other than minor road traffic offences, Adebolu did not have criminal convictions, he said.

The solicitor told Judge Kelly, “there is a backstory and an explanation”.

He proposed an adjournment for the restorative justice team in the Probation Service to consider him for their programme.

They might suggest appropriate compensation and a letter of apology, Mr Kelleher said.

Judge Kelly adjourned the case until April for investigating Garda Ruairi Brennan to take a victim impact statement first. The restorative justice approach could be considered afterwards.

Adebolu, who did not address the court, was remanded on continuing bail pending sentence.


Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices

Online Editors


Top Videos





Privacy