| 11°C Dublin

casino win Court hears man found dead in Dublin park was 'saluting' friends days before death

Ioan Artene Bob, originally from Romania, was found badly beaten near trees and shrubs in Sean Walsh Park, Tallaght, in 2018


Ioan Artene Bob

Ioan Artene Bob

Ioan Artene Bob

A construction worker was shaking his friends’ hands and ‘saluting’ them as they enjoyed a meal together in Dublin city centre days before his badly beaten body was found in a park, a murder accused told gardai.

Ioan Artene Bob (49), of no fixed abode but originally from Romania, was found badly beaten near trees and shrubs in Sean Walsh Park, Tallaght, on the morning of April 13, 2018.

He was taken to Tallaght Hospital by paramedics but died that afternoon as a result of his injuries.

Feri Anghel (42) has pleaded not guilty to murdering Mr Bob at a location in Dublin on April 13, 2018.

Mr Anghel, an office cleaner who is also from Romania, was arrested five days after Mr Bob’s body was discovered and was questioned under caution at Tallaght Garda Station by Detective Garda Kevin Kilcoyne and Det Gda David Jennings.

At Mr Anghel’s trial at the Central Criminal Court today, Det Gda Jennings told Elva Duffy BL, prosecuting, that the accused had indicated he had understood the caution at the start of the interview.

Det Gda Jennings then remained in the witness box as Ms Duffy read the transcript of the interview, which had began at 5.41pm on April 18, to the jury.

During the interview, when asked if he knew ‘Bob’, the accused replied: “He was a good guy, he was a nice guy. He salutes us. He would be hanging out with a lot of people. He would talk to everybody. But I do know he was a heavy drinker. He would be drinking everyday.”

But when asked if he knew what had happened to him, Mr Anghel said that he didn’t.

“The Romanians, they were talking. They were saying, ‘Anghel, you know him?’ No,” he had told gardai.

Mr Anghel then said he last saw Mr Bob the previous week, when he was with a group eating at a place near the GPO in Dublin where “they were giving free food”.

“He came over and shook everyone’s hand in our group,” he said. “I was there when he came over. I know him but not personally.”

When asked what they had talked about, the accused replied: “I haven’t spoke to him. He came over and shook our hands. He was saluting people.”

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

Mr Anghel also told gardai that he would only socialise with Mr Bob when he was in a group and replied ‘no’ when asked if he and Mr Bob would have ever gone off together.

Earlier in the interview, the accused told gardai he earned between €550-600 cleaning offices in Dublin and “other places”.

He said that he would send the majority of his wages, around €400 each week, back to his family in Romania and that he preferred to give the cash to a bus driver instead of using a wire service to transfer the funds because the bus would pass directly by his house in his home country.

Previously, the jury was told that days before his death, Mr Bob had won €2,700 at a city centre casino and had sent the bulk of the money home to Romania by the time he was attacked.

Former Deputy State pathologist Dr Margot Bolster has told the jury that death had been caused by blunt-force trauma to the head, neck and trunk, a bilateral lung-collapse, and pulmonary haemorrhage.

She said a post-mortem revealed the dead man’s lungs had collapsed after multiple ribs had been fractured and that injuries were consistent with "kicking and stamping".

The trial continues.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices

Top Videos

Available now on Apple Podcasts, Spotify or Google Podcasts.