jailed Convicted drug dealer gets five-month sentence after being caught with no insurance
A CONVICTED drug dealer currently serving five years in prison has admitted to driving without insurance or a driving licence.
Darren Caffrey (38) failed to produce his documents when he was stopped by gardaí in west Dublin in March 2020.
Judge Gerard Jones imposed a five-month sentence.
The defendant, with an address at Claddagh Road in Ballyfermot, admitted driving without insurance or a driving licence on March 26, 2020.
Blanchardstown District Court heard that gardaí stopped Caffrey driving a BMW car at Parkwest Avenue in Ballyfermot.
There was no tax displayed on the vehicle and gardaí made the lawful demand for Caffrey to produce his documents at his local garda station, but he failed to produce them.
The court heard he had 226 previous convictions and in July 2021 he received a five-year sentence for possession of heroin, cocaine and zopiclone tablets for sale or supply.
The drugs had a street value of €76,000.
Caffrey also received a 10-year driving ban for road traffic offences in 2017.
Defence solicitor Katie Dowling said Caffrey was in Portlaoise Prison serving a five-year sentence.
Ms Dowling said he had five children, ranging in age from seven to 16.
She said he would not be due for release from prison until early 2025, and this was a wake up call for the defendant who realised he was going to miss out on much of his children’s lives.
- Coleen and Wayne Rooney miss last day of 'Wagatha Christie' trial to go on holiday
- Belfast man who shook his genitals and threatened to rip off cop's head is jailed
- Relatives of men murdered by Loyalist serial killer challenge early release decision
- Daughter accused of murdering OAP Mary Bergin is in-patient at Central Mental Hospital
- Early release of loyalist jailed for murdering chippy owner challenged by NI Secretary of State
- Amy Broadhurst and Lisa O’Rourke – Irish boxing’s golden girls of Istanbul
- Footage emerges of Patrick Vieria in a confrontation with an Everton fan
- Sean McGoldrick Opinion The complete idiot’s guide to the race for Sam Maguire as favourites emerges
- Rory McIlroy gives his verdict after sparkling start at PGA Championship
- Tiger Woods’ not happy with cameraman as he limps through PGA Championship