| 12.2°C Dublin

case withdrawn Charges dropped against grandmother in child sexual abuse trial

Earlier in the trial, the child gave evidence under cross-examination that she could not remember her grandmother doing anything to her

Close

Stock image

Stock image

Stock image

The jury in a child abuse trial of three men and four women has been told the case against the children's grandmother has been withdrawn.

Addressing the jury this morning, Mr Justice Paul McDermott said that following legal argument, he had made the decision that the case against the woman was to be withdrawn and that she was to be found not guilty by direction of the trial judge.

The 57-year-old woman was accused of three counts of sexually assaulting her granddaughter. She had denied the charges.

Earlier in the trial, the child gave evidence under cross-examination that she could not remember her grandmother doing anything to her.

The remaining six accused, who cannot be named for legal reasons, include the parents, aunts and uncles of the three main child complainants. The parents are also accused of neglecting two younger children. They deny all charges against them.

The trial continues.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Top Videos





Privacy