| 16.4°C Dublin

tragic Body of Caoimhe Morgan allegedly killed by partner was discovered with her son by her side

The details emerged after the man accused of murdering mum-of-four was refused bail


Caoimhe Morgan (Family handout)

Caoimhe Morgan (Family handout)

Caoimhe Morgan (Family handout)

A mother-of-four allegedly murdered by her partner in north Belfast was found dead with her three-year-old son by her side, patting her on the shoulders, a court has heard.

Police also disclosed that 30-year-old Caoimhe Morgan’s lifeless body had injuries to the front and back of her head.

Details emerged as the man accused of killing Ms Morgan at her Harcourt Drive home in the early hours of December 18 last year was refused bail.

Taylor McIlvenna (30), with an address at Greyabbey Road in Ballywalter, Co Down, denies a charge of murder.

The builder claims he “lost the head” and struck her over a purported affair, but insists no life-threatening injuries were inflicted, a judge was told.

Belfast Magistrates’ Court heard Ms Morgan’s mother found her lying on a bedroom floor, partially clothed, unresponsive and not breathing.


Taylor McIlvenna

Taylor McIlvenna

Taylor McIlvenna

Police and paramedics called to the scene were unable to detect any signs of life.

“The victim appeared to have sustained injuries to the front and rear of her head, and had been bleeding heavily from the nose,” an investigating detective said.

Her mother told officers she went to the house that morning amid concerns for her safety.

Ms Morgan’s three-year-old twins, a boy and a girl, were also present when she arrived at the unlocked property.

“The victim’s son was beside her, patting her on the shoulder,” the detective added.

The court heard McIlvenna allegedly sent messages to Ms Morgan’s mother the previous night, claiming she had been out partying.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

He faces further charges of criminal damage to windows at his cousin’s house and a car belonging to his nephew in separate incidents on the morning of December 18.

McIlvenna was in possession of Ms Morgan’s mobile phone when arrested later that day, according to police.

In pre-prepared statements the defendant accepted an assault occurred during an altercation with the victim.

But he insisted that she had not suffered any life-threatening injuries.

“He denied murder, he said that he lost the head and struck her after she admitted having an affair,” the detective stated.

“He said if she had needed urgent medical attention he would have requested it.”

McIlvenna replied “no comment” to all other questions put to him.

Opposing bail due to fears of potential interference with witnesses, the detective confirmed no-one else is being sought in connection with the murder.

Defence barrister Conn O’Neill said there were “sensitive and trying matters” for everyone involved in the case.

He argued that McIlvenna should not be kept in custody just because of the seriousness of the charge.

Denying bail, however, District Judge Ted Magill ruled: “There is clearly a risk of further offences.”

McIlvenna was remanded in continuing custody for a further four weeks.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices