| 14.3°C Dublin

bad underestimation Bobby Messett murder jury agree to sit two months beyond the originally scheduled end-date

The trial of Gerard Cervi (34) had initially been expected to take eight weeks

Close

Gerard Cervi

Gerard Cervi

Gerard Cervi

The jury hearing the trial of a man accused of shooting another man dead at Bray Boxing Club has agreed to sit two months beyond the originally scheduled end-date.

The trial of Gerard Cervi (34) had initially been expected to take eight weeks, ending last week. Having already lost two jurors when the end-date was put back to September, Mr Justice Michael White on Monday asked the remaining seven women and three men if they could stay on until October 22.

Nine of the jurors agreed to the extension yesterday and on Tuesday the jury foreman said the tenth juror had rearranged family commitments and is able to continue.

Mr Justice White thanked all the remaining jurors for their patience and told them that legal argument is continuing in their absence this week so they will not be required again until Monday.

The court has heard 27 days of legal argument in the jury's absence since the trial began on June 29.

The judge has previously apologised to the jury for the "very bad underestimation" of how long the trial would take.

Mr Cervi, from the East Wall area in Dublin 3, has pleaded not guilty to murdering Bobby Messett (50) at Bray Boxing Club, Bray Harbour, Bray, Co Wicklow on June 5, 2018.

He also denies the attempted murder of boxing trainer Peter Taylor and Ian Britton on the same date and location.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Top Videos





Privacy