Fatal shooting Ballyfermot man Christopher Devine (40) charged with Michael Tormey gun murder
Christopher Devine (40) appeared in Dublin District Court today charged over the killing
A man has been charged with murdering a father-of–three who was shot dead outside his home in Dublin.
Christopher Devine (40) appeared in Dublin District Court today charged over the killing of Michael Tormey (49) in Ballyfermot.
Judge Brendan O’Reilly remanded him in custody for a week after hearing he made no reply when charged.
Mr Tormey, who worked as salesman and a security doorman, died after he was shot outside his home at Thomond Road, Ballyfermot on January 9.
Mr Devine, with an address at Convent Lawns, also in Ballyfermot, is charged with his murder.
Detective Sergeant Ronan McDermott told the court he arrested the accused at Ballyfermot garda station for the purpose of charge at 4.44pm yesterday.
Mr Devine was charged at 5.48pm and made no reply after caution. He was handed a copy of the charge sheet.
Defence solicitor Mark Sullivan made no bail application as bail can only be granted at High Court level on a murder charge.
Judge O’Reilly granted free legal aid following an application by Mr Sullivan, who said the accused was “an unemployed man”, in receipt of social welfare.
At the defence’s request, the judge also directed that Mr Devine receive all appropriate medical attention while in custody, including psychiatric attention.
Mr Devine, dressed in a black Nike tracksuit, sat with his arms folded in court and remained silent during the brief hearing. He has not yet entered a plea to the charge.
He was remanded in custody to Cloverhill District Court on January 26.
A 39-year-old woman who had also been arrested in connection with the shooting was released without charge earlier and a file will be prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions, gardai said.
Mr Tormey suffered a number of gunshot wounds in an attack just after 4.30 am when he returned home from a social function. He was found lying in his driveway.
His wife Amy and a child were in the house at the time of the shooting.
Mr Tormey’s funeral took place last Saturday.
- Revealed: Face of 'Deli Mob' enforcer who was hired to blind victims with acid
- Senator found not guilty of assaulting man during brawl outside Louth pub
- Man (33) pleads guilty to possession of handgun used to shoot Sinead Connolly
- 'Violent and dangerous' killer who threatened to kill garda spared return to jail
- Killer who assaulted barrister during murder trial can't find lawyer for his appeal
- Dubliner Dermot Kennedy misses home while touring but will never Facetime his mammy
- Ukranian woman fights for life after road crash involving killer Derek 'Del Boy' Hutch
- Tickets for Bruce Springsteen's three Dublin shows sell out within minutes
- Horror video shows two teens being attacked by gang of youths in Offaly housing estate
- Dear Evan Hansen announces date of final West End performance