no bail | 

Armed gardai called out to man brandishing axe at stand-off at former partner’s home

Hanlon maintained that he only had the axe to cut stumps of wood

Stock image

Tom Tuite

ARMED gardai were called in to help arrest a man brandishing an axe during a stand-off at his ex-partner's home in Dublin, a court heard.

Gregory Hanlon, 44, of Timber Mills, Artane, Dublin 5, was taken to Coolock station and charged with producing a weapon capable of inflicting serious injury during a dispute and criminal damage on Friday evening.

He was denied bail when he appeared before Judge John Campbell at Dublin District Court on Saturday.

A contested bail hearing was told the incident allegedly happened at his ex-partner's home in Darndale.

The court also heard he made no reply when charged.

Garda Sean Grennan objected to bail due to the seriousness of the incident.

He told Judge Campbell that he went to the woman’s house following a 999 call and the situation inside was violent and heated.

He alleged Mr Hanlon posed a threat to the life of adult family members in the same room.

He told the court Mr Hanlon had a "large axe in his hand", and a Garda Armed Support Unit (ASU) entered the house "due to immediate threat to life".

He said he witnessed him brandishing the axe at gardai and making threats.

Garda Grennan said he was forced to request the assistance of the ASU because the accused was armed, and he feared he would "do serious harm" to him and his adult daughters in the house.

Garda Grennan anticipated further charges and that the case would be sent to a higher court.

Questioned by defence solicitor Eddie O'Connor, he said the accused gave no explanation when detained at Coolock Garda station.

It was put to the officer that the accused used the axe to chop firewood in the back garden. However, the officer said he did not see him chopping wood and added that "he was gesturing the axe towards me".

He agreed the accused lived at a separate address, and there were no safety or protection orders in place.

Mr Hanlon gave evidence and said he told the garda to go away, but 20 minutes later, more gardai came in the door.

He maintained he had the axe at that house to cut stumps of wood, and he never left it outside in case someone could use it to break into the property.

Asked if he was wielding it, he said, "No, I would not be going around the house with the axe".

He agreed he would obey bail conditions and stay away from the scene.

Judge Campbell stressed that the accused still had the presumption of innocence. However, he refused to grant bail and remanded him in custody to appear at Cloverhill District Court on Tuesday. Legal aid was granted.

Today's Headlines

More Courts

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices

WatchMore Videos