| 6.4°C Dublin

'unlawful procedures' Alleged fake doctor accused of endangering kids in home circumcisions sent for trial

Philip Ogbewe (57) is accused of creating a risk of death or serious harm to the young boys in unlawful procedures over a 21-month period.

Close

Philip Ogbewe (57), of Greenlanes, Drogheda, Co. Louth, leaving Dublin District Court.

Philip Ogbewe (57), of Greenlanes, Drogheda, Co. Louth, leaving Dublin District Court.

Philip Ogbewe (57), of Greenlanes, Drogheda, Co. Louth, leaving Dublin District Court.

AN alleged fake doctor has been sent for trial accused of endangering the lives of nine children by performing home circumcisions on them.

Philip Ogbewe (57) is accused of creating a risk of death or serious harm to the young boys in unlawful procedures over a 21-month period.

The father-of-six had a book of evidence served on him when he appeared in Dublin District Court.

Judge Patricia Cronin sent him forward for trial to Dublin Circuit Criminal Court.

Mr Ogbewe, a Nigerian national of Greenlanes, Drogheda, Co Louth, is charged with nine counts of endangerment.

The offences, under Section 13 of the Non Fatal Offences Against the Person Act, are alleged to have happened at locations in Finglas, Tyrellstown, Clonsilla, Kilmainham and Tallaght in Dublin, as well as in Cos Kildare and Wexford on dates in 2018 and 2019.

Close

Philip Ogbewe of Greenlanes, Drogheda, Co Louth, is charged with endangerment

Philip Ogbewe of Greenlanes, Drogheda, Co Louth, is charged with endangerment

Philip Ogbewe of Greenlanes, Drogheda, Co Louth, is charged with endangerment

These charges allege that he intentionally or recklessly used a blade to perform home circumcisions on infants and young boys between seven months and five years, creating a substantial risk of death or serious harm.

He is also charged with nine counts of falsely representing to be a medical practitioner in the same incidents, contrary to Section 41 of the Medical Practitioners Act.

The DPP directed trial on indictment on all charges and a state solicitor said the book of evidence was ready.

The judge gave the accused the formal notice that he had 14 days to provide any alibi details to the prosecution.

He also ordered the prosecution to furnish the defence with copies of Mr Ogbewe's garda interview video.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

The accused was remanded on continuing bail.

Previously, Detective Garda Avril Foley of the Garda National Protective Services Bureau said the accused made no reply to four of the charges after caution.

He replied “no comment” to the other charges.

Under bail conditions, the accused was to provide gardai with a permanent address as well as a mobile phone number.

Mr Ogbewe must sign on at a nominated garda station three times per week, surrender his passport and undertake not to apply for any other travel document.

He is not to perform or give advice related to any sort of medical procedure, or advertise his availability for services by any means.

He is also to have no contact with any alleged injured parties or witnesses in the case.

The accused has not yet entered pleas.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Privacy