19-year-old is accused of murder
A KILDARE teenager has been charged with the murder of Peter Kennedy who died in hospital following an alleged attack at his Newbridge home earlier this year.
Brian Ibe (19), of no fixed abode and with an address listed at 35 Moore Park, Newbridge, appeared in Naas District Court on Thursday charged with the murder of Mr Kennedy.
Defence solicitor Tim Kennelly told the court that Ibe has maintained his innocence since his arrest in April and continued to do so this week. "He is protesting his innocence," he said.
Mr Kennedy died in hospital on May 12 two weeks after he was allegedly attacked in his home which is the same Moore Park address listed for the accused.
Detective Sergeant Ciaran Bruce told Judge Desmond Zaidan that he charged Ibe on Thursday morning and the accused made no reply to the charge.
He added that Ibe said he understood the charge.
Sgt Brian Jacob told the court Ibe had initially been charged with assault causing harm and trespass in relation to the case but the Director of Public Prosecutions has now dropped these charges in light of the new charge.
Judge Zaidan said the new charge of murder was the "most serious allegation known to humankind".
Mr Kennedy (65) was allegedly attacked with a knife and/or sharpened glass during an attack at his home around 9pm on April 28.
He suffered multiple fractures to his head, a broken jaw and cuts to his neck in the incident. He died in Beaumont Hospital on May 12.
Ibe was remanded in custody to appear again before Naas District Court via videolink on Thursday for service of the book of evidence.
Ibe, who wore a light grey jumper and dark grey tracksuit bottoms, remained silent throughout proceedings.
Bail applications cannot be granted by the District Court on murder charges and Judge Zaidan told Mr Kennelly if his client wanted to make a bail application he would have to do so in the High Court.