| 14°C Dublin

cleaned up act Convicted killer and former heroin dealer now makes living as a house cleaner

Larry Dunne's nephew says that he’s now on the straight and narrow


Turner set up his own cleaning complany.

Turner set up his own cleaning complany.

Abraham Turner during his 2004 brush with the law.

Abraham Turner during his 2004 brush with the law.

Abraham Turner with his partner

Abraham Turner with his partner

Abraham Turner at work.

Abraham Turner at work.


Turner set up his own cleaning complany.

A convicted killer and former heroin dealer now makes his living as a house cleaner, blessing properties as he goes, after turning to God in prison.

Dubliner Abraham Turner, who served separate sentences for manslaughter and the importation of heroin into this country, says he prays each morning before starting work and then blesses each house as he cleans.

A nephew of notorious drug dealer Larry Dunne, Turner, who started up a contract cleaning services business in June of last year, spoke of the massive impact finding religion has had on his life in a video recorded with the 'Liberty Church.'


Abraham Turner during his 2004 brush with the law.

Abraham Turner during his 2004 brush with the law.

Abraham Turner during his 2004 brush with the law.

"First thing in the morning myself and my work partner, I collect him, and before we go anywhere and do anything, we pray.

"And we ask the Lord will He lead us and guide us in that day and we commit the day into His hands.

"We say Lord: 'Just use us as vessels!'

"I work in contract cleaning and when we first started the business, the Lord clearly said to me: 'I want you to step out and start your own business, which we done, and the first house I want you to bless is your pastor… which we done'.

Turner goes on to say that he and his business partner then asked the pastor to pray with them over the business.

"And [the pastor] said Abraham: 'The Lord is telling me to tell you when you do a house, bless the house going in and bless the house going out.'


Abraham Turner with his partner

Abraham Turner with his partner

Abraham Turner with his partner

Turner said after receiving this instruction, he and his business partner have carried out the blessing at every home they've cleaned 'from Day One.'

"The amount of people we've had the honour and privilege to talk to, to bless, to share with our testimonies and to encourage has been amazing.'


Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

Turner's new life as a productive member of society has won him widespread praise, with one source describing him as "a shining example of how anyone, no matter how low they have sunk, can turn their life around."

Turner's life was in freefall, when in 2003, he was caught by gardaí after he imported a €90,000 haul of heroin into this country.

Turner, then of Cherry Grove, Walkinstown, was arrested at his home when gardaí raided the house on foot of confidential information.

A large quantity of heroin was found on the kitchen table, and a number of heroin wraps were found throughout the house.

The court heard that Turner travelled with a courier to England, where the drugs were purchased.


Abraham Turner at work.

Abraham Turner at work.

Abraham Turner at work.

He initially denied any knowledge of the drug because a number of people lived in the house. However, he eventually accepted responsibility.

He claimed he hadn't anticipated making a profit from it but intended to keep some for personal use and sell the rest to cover his expenses.

Turner, then aged 37, pleaded guilty to the unlawful possession of the heroin for sale or supply on January 3, 2003.

The court heard he had more than 30 previous convictions and was jailed for five years in 1985, when he was a teenager, for stabbing a man to death in Dolphin's Barn.

Judge Hogan suspended the last two years of Turner's sentence because of his heroin addiction but added that, because of the significant value of the drugs, he didn't accept the explanation that Turner didn't expect to make any money.

Previously, in 1998, the Criminal Assets Bureau had secured a High Court order preventing Turner and his father, Barry Turner, from dealing with the house in Walkinstown and a Honda Civic car.

The CAB believed that the house, which featured a gym and a jacuzzi, and the car constituted the proceeds of crime and particularly the sale and supply of controlled drugs.


The High Court also heard at the time that Turner had three bank accounts in his own name, and about £212,000, mostly in cash, had been lodged between 1992 and 1997. About £83,000 was lodged over seven years in accounts in Barry Turner's name.

An affidavit from a detective garda from the National Drugs Squad, which was read to the court in 1998, said that Turner had never been in gainful employment during the years that gardaí had known him.

Speaking, in a separate podcast with the Liberty Church, of how he turned his life Turner said he called out to God from his cell as his sentence for heroin dealing was nearing its end.

"I was at the end of a long, a long, long prison sentence," he said.

"I didn't know the Lord.

"And coming to the end of the sentence, something in me was crying out.

"I'm sure the lads on the landing thought I was going mad because I was in the cell on my own but yet they could hear me screaming.

"And what I was doing, I was raising my fists to the ceiling, and saying: 'If you're up there, if you're up there, make yourself real.

"Make yourself real, God, show me who you are, I don't want to live this life anymore. I don't want to live this life anymore."

Turner said prior to his sentence ending, he was visited by a number of people, one of whom invited him to stay at a place for ex-inmates in Drogheda.

"He said I know you can go back to what you want to go back to. But I sat there and I said: 'D'you know something, I said, I don't have the heart anymore.


"I don't have the heart to put on some child what has taken me 20 years to try and fight.

"I had been through 20 years of addiction at that stage.

"I don't have the heart to do that anymore.

"So I got released and I didn't go home, I went straight down to Lifeline.

"I wasn't a nice person, I don't think I was but when I got down there, the Father started to change my heart."

Contacted by the Sunday World on Friday evening, Turner declined to comment further saying: "I give testimony for the Church. Other than that, I don't really speak about it."

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices