September 3rd, 2014

More girls come forward with details of lewd Nulty messages

NewsBy Neil Fetherston
Patrick Nulty.
Patrick Nulty.

MORE girls have come forward with further shocking allegations that shamed Independent TD Patrick Nulty sent them similar messages to those revealed in this weekend’s Sunday World.

Gardaí are set to quiz the TD following Alan Sherry's expose that the Dublin politician sent lewd messages to a schoolgirl and her mother.

The mother of the 17-year-old made a full statement to gardai yesterday following earlier complaints about the TD’s behaviour.

However, as the shocking revelations continue to reverberate throughout the country this morning in the wake of our exclusive story,  we can reveal that since the article was published more alleged victims have come forward.

These include classmates of the 17-year-old, who is preparing for her Leaving Cert and who Nulty asked ‘have you ever been spanked’.

"As late as last night, two more women have come forward to Sunday World beyond the ones reported on this weekend with further messages that they received from him," Alan Sherry said.

Mr Nulty resigned on Saturday night after admitting sending a series of messages over Facebook.

His shock resignation came just hours before we were about to publish details of the sordid messages.

Gardaí are expected to question the former Deputy as well as examine his computers and mobile phone as part of further investigations.

Meanwhile, the Dublin West by-election that will be called to fill Nulty’s seat is likely to be held in the autumn, rather than on the day of the local elections.

Mr Nulty, who won the seat in a by-election following the death of the late Brian Lenihan in 2011, was elected as a Labour TD in October 2011.

Mr Nulty lost the Labour whip that December after voting against the Government on a budgetary issue and has been an Independent TD since then.

By-elections have to be held within six months of a vacancy arising, which means the latest date for a Dublin West poll can be held is late September.

Senior Coalition sources last night said an autumn by-election was the more likely option, rather than May 23rd, the same day as the European and local elections.

Sunday World first broke the story that Mr Nulty (31) sent a number of messages to women who contacted him regarding constituency matters, such as rent allowances.

Deputy Nulty first denied he was responsible for the messages, claiming his phone was hacked. But when the Sunday World confronted him with ‘geo-tagging’ data that showed the messages were sent from inside Leinster House, Nulty admitted it was him.

It is further alleged that a woman was asked to send underwear in the post and another was urged to wear a skirt when visiting a constituency clinic.

In a statement, Mr Nulty said the message he sent to the 17-year-old was inappropriate. He took responsibility for his actions and said some messages were sent while he was under the influence of alcohol.

He is also reported to have sent messages to the girl’s mother.

“For this reason I have decided to resign my seat in the Dáil. I set myself the highest standards personally and politically. Unfortunately, due to personal mistakes, I have not met those standards in this matter and I will take responsibility for that.”