Style & ShowbizShowbiz

Suzi Perry: Turning down Top Gear was a 'bad decision'

ShowbizBy Sunday World
Suzi Perry: Turning down Top Gear was a 'bad decision'

Suzi Perry admits turning down 'Top Gear' was a "bad decision".

The BBC's Formula 1 presenter has confessed she believes it was an "error" to turn down the opportunity to join the motoring show alongside former host Jeremy Clarkson and his colleagues Richard Hammond and James May when it was revamped in 2002.

She said: "Years ago, when TV was about to bring 'Top Gear' back and rebrand it with Jeremy, James and Richard, I sat down and talked to Andy Wilman, the series producer, about joining them.

"I remember thinking, 'I might be out of my depth and it might not be a good idea', instead of grabbing the opportunity. Looking back, I may have made a large error, but it's not like I didn't work for the next 15 years. I don't regret it - but it was probably a bad decision."

The 45-year-old star is now in the running to join Chris Evans - who was announced as the new host after Clarkson was sacked for punching a producer earlier this year - on the show after he admitted he will "definitely" have a female co-host.

Meanwhile, the former model admits that although she is now a successful presenter, she never predicted having a career in television.

She told the Daily Telegraph newspaper: "I definitely haven't planned this career, but I've probably created opportunities through the choices that I've made. Nobody comes and knocks on your door, and there's no point giving up either when things aren't going your way; you have to just keep on going.

"I thought I'd follow my dad's path into music, but I ended up getting different opportunities. Then more doors opened, I rammed my foot in, had a look around and that's how I live my life. I'm not really a planner, and can't tell you what I'll be doing in two years' time."