Style & ShowbizShowbiz

Tom Jones slams BBC for The Voice axing

ShowbizBy Sunday World
Tom Jones slams BBC for The Voice axing

Tom Jones has slammed the BBC for axing him from 'The Voice' without warning.

The 75-year-old singer has been a coach on the UK version of the singing competition since its first series four years ago, but it was announced yesterday that he would not be returning next year.

In a message posted on his Facebook page, Jones said: "In good faith, as part of the team, I'd put the time in my schedule to be involved in Series 5, as I've done so for the last 4 years. I've supported the show and the BBC since the beginning. I was told yesterday, with no consultation or conversation of any kind, that I would not be returning."

The 'Delilah' singer - whose contestant Leanne Mitchell won the first series of the show - admitted he's disappointed with the way he's been treated.

He added: "Having been through plenty of transformations throughout the years, I support and admire creative change. But being informed, as a matter of duty and respect, is an important part of creative relationships. This sub-standard behaviour from the executives is very disappointing. I will always admire the courage of the performers who participate in the show, as well as all the production staff who worked tirelessly to make a great family viewing experience for the audience at home. I wish the show well."

Tom Jones and Rita Ora - who jumped ship to 'The X Factor' earlier this year - have been replaced by Boy George and Paloma Faith while and Kaiser Chiefs frontman Ricky Wilson are set to return as coaches.