Style & ShowbizShowbiz

Sir Tom Jones 'deeply insulted' by BBC's attitude

ShowbizBy Sunday World
Sir Tom Jones 'deeply insulted' by BBC's attitude

Sir Tom Jones has slammed the BBC for the "deeply insulting" way in which they axed him from 'The Voice'.

The 75-year-old star was told he'd been dropped as a coach on the BBC One singing competition on the same day the official announcement was made last week and he's admitted he's unimpressed with the way bosses handled the situation.

He said: "That the executives in charge couldn't be ladies and gentlemen about it, that they were filled with paranoia about a 'leak' above all, is deeply insulting to our professionalism."

Sir Tom - who has been a judge on the show since the first series four years ago - was dropped in favour of new coaches Boy George and Paloma Faith and he insists neither he nor his team were given any warning about his departure.

He told the Daily Mirror newspaper: "If there were any issues with our engagement, we were not aware, nor made aware. There was never even a hint that any member of the staff, or indeed the production executives, were unsatisfied, unhappy or disgruntled."

The 'Delilah' hitmaker claims he's more upset about the way he's been treated than actually being sacked.

Jones added: "It's not that I was let go, it is how it was handled.

"If indeed the producers were planning a cast change back in March/April, after the most successful year of the series in terms of viewer numbers, a warm and civilised conversation was in order at that time."

Meanwhile, Culture Club star Boy George has spoken for the first time since the news broke.

He wrote on Twitter: "I have absolute respect for Tom Jones. The man is an absolute legend. Huge fan."