Style & ShowbizShowbiz

Simon Cowell: Zayn Malik should have brought show to me.

ShowbizBy Sunday World
Simon Cowell: Zayn Malik should have brought show to me.

Simon Cowell thinks Zayn Malik should have approached him about his new TV show.

The former One Direction star has teamed up with 'Law & Order's Dick Wolf and his wife Noelle Wolf on 'Boys', a scripted show about the formation of a successful boy band, and his former record label boss - who signed the group to his Syco label after they were formed, and came second, on his TV show 'The X Factor' in 2010 - believes the 'Pillowtalk' hitmaker owed it to him to offer him the rights to the project first.

Simon, 56, told 'Entertainment Tonight': "Nothing surprises me anymore. I think he should have come to me with it, if I'm being honest with you. I do actually believe that when they've got these ideas, bearing in mind where we started, they should actually come to me."

It might come as a surprise that Simon wanted to work on the show with Zayn - who will executive produce the NBC series - as he previously insisted he was "not interested" in anything the 23-year-old singer said.

Speaking after Zayn admitted he had little contact with his former bandmates or their crew, Simon said: "I'm not interested in a single word he says, but I am interested in what he sings. I've heard [his music], it's good, he's going to do well."

The 'Like I Would' singer seemingly didn't have Simon in mind to work with on the show at all as he is delighted to be working with Dick on the venture.

He said: "Dick Wolf is a legend and the opportunity to work with him and NBC to create a compelling drama series is awesome."

Noelle added: "We were intrigued by the synergistic potential that Zayn brings to the project."

The show will be written by Sherri Cooper Landsman and Jennifer Levin.