Style & ShowbizShowbiz

Simon Cowell reassures Howard Stern

ShowbizBy Sunday World
Simon Cowell reassures Howard Stern

Simon Cowell has no plans to replace Howard Stern on 'America's Got Talent'.

The British star - who owns and is an executive producer of the NBC series - was reportedly forced to reach out to the furious radio presenter, 61, to dismiss rumours he was in talks to take over Howard's spot on the show's judging panel for upcoming 10th season.

A source said: "There was a misunderstanding. That's all. Simon called Howard's manager to make sure he knew the real situation and Howard sent a message back that he now understood and now they're friends again. They've always got on well."

The talent show's bosses are said to have casually approached Simon about the role, as they were worried Howard "didn't look like he was coming back."

The insider explained to PEOPLE.com: "It's a huge show and you have to make alternative plans if one of the key players isn't sure if he's returning. Simon was an obvious call to make. But even before Howard made his decision to return, Simon had already said, 'Thanks, but no thanks.' He's already committed to both his British shows, which film back to back. It just wouldn't have worked.

"Simon loves the Got Talent format. And since he owns it, he approves all the judges, including Howard, but he wouldn't appear on both the British and American version. He's fully committed to ITV and 'Britain's Got Talent' for the foreseeable future. Howard's been reassured he's got his judging job for as long as he wants it as far as Simon is concerned!"