Style & ShowbizShowbiz

Simon Cowell doesn't see Zayn Malik

ShowbizBy Sunday World
Simon Cowell doesn't see Zayn Malik

Simon Cowell hasn't seen Zayn Malik since he left One Direction.

The 55-year-old music mogul insists his "responsibility" is with the group, though he thinks the 22-year-old singer - who quit the 'Drag Me Down' hitmakers in March - thinks he has made the right decision to sign with RCA, another imprint of Sony, rather than stay with his own Syco label.

Asked if he has spoken to Zayn since his departure, he said: "Uh, no. Once we'd made the decision that he was going to be on a different part of Sony, which is good for him, my responsibility was obviously the guys, their next record. Zayn's going to be fine."

And while One Direction are planning an extended break next year, Simon has promised fans will hear their best music yet before they go their separate ways.

Speaking to BANG Showbiz at the 'X Factor' launch at the Picturehouse Central cinema in London last night (26.08.15), he said: "The record they've delivered to us, I honestly think is the best album that they've ever made and it's amazing."

While Simon hasn't spoken to Zayn for months, he tweeted last month to congratulate the singer on his new record deal.

He wrote: "We have been working on this for a while and I am pleased to say congratulations to @Zaynmalik on signing with @RCARecords," he wrote on Twitter (sic)."

"I believe they are the perfect label for @ZaynMalik's solo career and I am sure whatever they release together will be special(sic)."