Style & ShowbizShowbiz

Sam Mendes quits Bond franchise

ShowbizBy Sunday World
Sam Mendes quits Bond franchise

Sam Mendes won't direct any more James Bond movies.

The filmmaker has directed 'Skyfall' and 'Spectre' in the long-running spy franchise but insisted he will not return for another movie as he wants to work on something new.

Speaking at the Hay Festival of literature in Wales, he said: "It was an incredible adventure, I loved every second of it. But I think it's time for somebody else. I'm a storyteller. And at the end of the day, I want to make stories with new characters."

He added that he hopes his successor will come from an "unexpected direction".

While Daniel Craig is set to step down from his role as the suave super spy, Sam insisted that the new director and star will be unexpected.

He said: "I can guarantee whatever happens with it, it will not be what you expect. That's what she [producer Barbara Broccoli] has been brilliant at, and that's how it'll survive."

Recently Daniel reportedly rejected a £68 million offer, which is thought to be made up of profit shares, endorsements and a role as co-producer, from MGM studio for two more movies and told bosses he is "done" playing the spy.

A Los Angeles film source said: "Daniel is done - pure and simple - he told top brass at MGM after 'Spectre'. They threw huge amounts of money at him, but it just wasn't what he wanted.

"He had told people after shooting that this would be his final outing, but the film company still felt he could come around after 'Spectre' if he was offered a money deal."

Last year, Daniel - who has starred as 007 in 'Casino Royale', 'Quantum of Solace', 'Skyfall' and 2015's 'Spectre' - said he would "rather slash [his] wrists" than portray the spy again, but later admitted he would do another Bond movie "for the money".

He also threw his Bond future in doubt when he signed up for 20-episode US TV series 'Purity'.