Style & ShowbizShowbiz

Ryan Coogler declines Academy invite

ShowbizBy Sunday World
Ryan Coogler declines Academy invite

Ryan Coogler is reportedly not interested in joining the Academy.

The 'Creed' director was invited by Academy president Cheryl Boone Isaacs to join the list of members responsible for giving out Oscars but he is not keen on signing up.

The 30-year-old filmmaker is considering declining the post because he isn't interested in judging other people's work, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Meanwhile, Ryan previously revealed he wanted to create a "father-and-son" story in 'Creed' to show his love for his dad.

He said: "It was my relationship with my dad that motivated me to want to make (the movie), so it was always a father-and-son story for me ... He's the biggest 'Rocky' fan in the world, and he means a lot to me.

"He got really sick round about the time I finished film school. And going through that put me in a real emotional place, and I came up with this story as a way to vent."

Meanwhile, 'Creed' star Sylvester Stallone previously revealed he told Ryan he would boycott the Academy Awards over the #OscarsSoWhite controversy if he wanted him to.

Discussing the lack of diversity in the nominations at this year's ceremony, he said: "I remember I spoke with Ryan Coogler when this [#OscarsSoWhite controversy] happened. I said, 'Ryan, how do you want to handle this? Because I really believe you are responsible for me being here.' I said, 'If you want me to go, I'll go. If you don't, I won't.' He said, 'No, I want you to go.' That's the kind of guy he is. He wants us to go and represent the film.

"Michael Jordan, every time I looked in his eyes as an actor, I said, he was making me better. I think he should've been given a lot more respect and attention."