Style & ShowbizShowbiz

Richard Wilson spotted fit and well for the first time since heart attack

ShowbizBy Sunday World
Richard Wilson spotted fit and well for the first time since heart attack

Richard Wilson has been spotted for the first time since his heart attack in August.

The 80-year-old actor - who played the iconic Victor Meldrew from 1990 until 2000 in the popular series 'One Foot In The Grave' - seems to have recovered from his ordeal after he was seen walking through his local streets with the aid of a walking stick, just two months after he suffered a cardiac arrest, according to The Sun newspaper.

The heart attack left Richard in hospital after he fell over and sustained a serious head injury, but his agent, John Grant, said at the time he was in a stable condition and was being cared for in hospital.

The injury led him to cancel a 12-night run at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival where he was supposed to be reprising his famous comedy role.

A source at the time said: "It's very worrying for his friends and family. Richard is a true professional. He'd never have cancelled the show unless he had no other choice."

Meanwhile a source for the theatre he was due to perform at said the decision to cancel "hasn't been taken lightly".

They said: "Richard hates letting people down. He'd been looking forward to this for months, putting in hours of work learning his lines. This decision certainly hasn't been taken lightly."

Meanwhile, Richard previously branded his character - and his catchphrase "I don't believe it!" - as "boring" when the novelty wore off, but said he understands the appeal for fans.

He said: "I suppose the novelty of 'I don't believe it!' was rather amusing at first. And then it became rather boring.

"And then I just thought to myself, 'Well, you're never going to escape this, so you might as well accept it.'

"Victor did change my life. If I am walking down the street now and someone shouts it at me I just raise a hand and wave and walk on."