Style & ShowbizShowbiz

Richard Hammond: Amazon won't 'interfere'

ShowbizBy Sunday World
Richard Hammond: Amazon won't 'interfere'

Richard Hammond says Amazon won't "interfere" in the making of his, Jeremy Clarkson and James May's new car show.

The trio of presenters signed a three-year deal with Amazon Prime Instant Video earlier this year and Hammond - who, along with May, decided to quit 'Top Gear' when Clarkson was sacked for punching a producer - has revealed they will be given free rein on their latest project.

Asked if Amazon feel more like a publisher than a boss, Richard said: "Yes. They're not going to interfere. They want us doing what we do. [Liberating?] Yeah, very."

The 45-year-old presenter also commented on a senior Netflix employee's claim that they passed on the former 'Top Gear' team because "they are not worth it", to insist they will work their "a**es off to make it [the new show] really good".

And although Hammond - who will reportedly be paid over £7 million per series by Amazon - was reluctant to talk about his 'Top Gear' career coming to an end, he admitted it was emotional filming their final episode but insisted they have all moved on.

He told The Times newspaper: "It's a show. I've made other shows that have come and gone: 'Total Wipeout', 'Braniac'."

Richard, James and Jeremy have spent more time together this year than ever before and can't wait to get started on their new motoring show.

Asked if it's brought them closer together, Hammond shared: "I suppose so. And that's good. So we're on the best footing we've ever been to go ahead now and do what we do best."

However, while Jeremy has had no qualms about badmouthing the BBC, Richard refuses to blame them for the fallout.

He added: "I'm reluctant, genuinely. I've worked for the BBC for 28 years, on and off, and I don't want to get in the way. The BBC will do what it's going to do. We'll do what we're going to do."