Style & ShowbizShowbiz

Paul Hollywood to stay on Great British Bake Off

ShowbizBy Sunday World
Paul Hollywood to stay on Great British Bake Off

Paul Hollywood will stay with the 'Great British Bake Off' when it moves to Channel 4.

The 50-year-old silverfox - who has been a part of the popular baking programme since 2010 - has decided to remain a judge on the cooking programme when it shifts across from the BBC to its rival channel next year after he was reportedly offered a mega deal.

He said: "Since I was a kid, baking has been part of my life. The seven series inside the tent have created some great memories.

"Best of all, I have felt so pleased to experience other people getting the baking bug, just as I did when my dad helped me make my first loaf.

"The 'Great British Bake Off' has brought baking to the nation and we've seen people from all walks of life and backgrounds, experience the highs and lows of competition, and more importantly helping each other.

"It's been a huge part of my life in the past few years and I just couldn't turn my back on all that - the bakers themselves, the bakes, the team that makes it, and of course the tent, the bunting, and who could forget... the squirrels. So I am delighted that I will be continuing as a judge when '...Bake Off' moves to Channel 4."

Paul's decision to continue with the programme comes just minutes after his co-judge Mary Berry announced she was quitting 'GBBO' out of "loyalty" to the BBC.

She said: "My decision to stay with the BBC is out of loyalty to them, as they have nurtured me, and the show, that was a unique and brilliant format from day one.

"What a privilege and honour it has been to be part of seven years of magic in a tent. I am just sad for the audience who may not be ready for change."

The future of the programme has been hanging in limbo since it was revealed Channel 4 had bought the rights to the show for an estimated $75 million last week.

Channel 4 reportedly waded in with the three-year mega money deal after they found out negotiations between the BBC and Love Productions - the makers of the programme - had broken down.

The show's hosts Sue Perkins and Mel Giedroyc announced they would no longer front the show after they found out the BBC had lost its rights to the popular series.