Madonna and Guy Ritchie warned to settle row amicably
Guy Ritchie and Madonna have been urged to reach an "amicable" conclusion to their custody battle over their son Rocco.
The 47-year-old filmmaker attended a 90-minute preliminary hearing at the High Court in London today (03.03.16), which was held after Madonna requested to have legal proceedings launched in England to a close, so the case can be settled in a New York court.
Judge Mr. Justice MacDonald described the dispute as "highly unfortunate and deeply regrettable" and said he had to decide whether UK proceedings should end, or whether he should make the decisions for the 15 year old's welfare.
He said: "It would be my fervent hope that discussions between the parties can reach an amicable resolution.
"An amicable negotiated resolution is definitely the way forward and in Rocco's best interests."
The judge also warned Rocco is suffering most from the bitter battle.
He said: "Unfortunate Rocco will have to experience additional emotional upset."
The British judge adjourned the case for a full hearing next week.
The hearing today followed a New York court hearing yesterday (02.03.16) - where Madonna and Guy appeared via telephone - when it was decided Rocco should remain in London with his father, where he has been staying since leaving his mother's 'Rebel Heart' tour in December.
He previously defied a court order to return to the singer for Christmas.
Another hearing will take place in the US on June 1.