Style & ShowbizShowbiz

Laura Whitmore 'devastated' to pull out of Strictly performance

ShowbizBy Sunday World
Laura Whitmore 'devastated' to pull out of Strictly performance

Laura Whitmore is "absolutely devastated" she's had to pull out of 'Strictly Come Dancing' tonight (22.10.16) due to an ankle injury.

The 31-year-old Irish beauty will not be performing her jive with partner Giovanni Pernice as planned in the BBC talent competition after being advised by the show's doctors to rest her injured joint.

Taking to Twitter today, she said: "Absolutely Devastated... It was a decision taken out of my hands. If it was my choice, I'd be on the dance floor doing my jive with Gio. This was by far my favourite dance. We all train really hard. All of us dancing, have aches and pains and I didn't realise the severity of my injury until it was too late. I'm sorry to let you all down.

The TV presenter went on: "My priority is to follow the doctors instructions to get myself on my feet again without permanent damage and do the thing I love the most. Dancing! Thanks to all my fellow contestants for the support they've given me in the last 24hrs."

A 'Strictly' spokesperson confirmed the news this afternoon and said the dancing couple will get a pass into next week's show.

The statement said: "Laura Whitmore will not perform on tonight's Strictly Come Dancing due to an ankle injury sustained earlier in the week.

"She has been checked by a doctor and the medical team on site and they have advised that she rests her ankle and does not dance this weekend.

"As per the rules of Strictly Come Dancing - because Laura and Giovanni cannot dance on tonight's show - they will receive a bye through to next week and the show will continue with a public vote as per usual.

They added: "'We wish Laura a very speedy recovery."