Style & ShowbizShowbiz

Hugh Jackman debates Oscars diversity issue

ShowbizBy Sunday World
Hugh Jackman debates Oscars diversity issue

Hugh Jackman is the latest star to open up about the lack of diversity among the Oscar nominations.

When the list was revealed last month, the lack of black actors among the names was quick to be recognised.

However, Hugh was one person who was a little slower on the uptake, and this fact in itself gave him pause for thought.

He said: "It never flagged in my head that this was an issue, and that gave me pause later. So this is something that we need to talk about."

The 47-year-old actor went on to add that this issue of diversity in Hollywood is not just about race.

He added to People: "Not just race - sex, sexuality, every front, films are there to tell the stories of our time. [They] need to reflect the world, the real world, and so it's a great conversation to have.

"I think actually Hollywood's in a great position right now to be able to lead the way."

Several big names in Hollywood, including Will and Jada Pinkett Smith and director Spike Lee have already revealed they will be boycotting the awards and not attend.

There had also been calls for Chris Rock to step down as host of the ceremony, but Academy president Cheryl Boone Isaacs insists she trusts Chris to tackle the issue in a comedic, yet sensitive, manner.

She told the Hollywood Reporter: "We know who he is. He is a brilliant, brilliant, observant comedian and performer, and he is a brilliant host. And yes, we want him to, obviously, because way before this, our selection of Chris was to bring some edge and some fun and some funny--intelligent funny--to the telecast. So we know he's going to do that."