Gwyneth Paltrow's alleged stalker found not guilty
A man accused of stalking Gwyneth Paltrow has walked free from a Los Angeles courtroom after a jury found him not guilty on all charges.
Dante Soiu was put on trial for felony stalking charges after reportedly bombarding The Avengers star with 66 letters between 2009 and 2015.
He was arrested last year (15), 15 years after previously beating similar counts for harassing Paltrow and sending her sexually explicit messages and unwanted gifts in 2000. Soiu was found not guilty in that case by reason of insanity, but subsequently spent a number of years in a mental institution.
This time around, the Ohio native insisted the mail he sent to Paltrow was simply to show her that he bore no grudge about the previous case, and to prove he was a changed man so he could propose the idea of marriage to the Oscar winner.
"I was trying to show I had changed and I had become a different person," he testified last week (10Feb16). "I wanted to show a new face towards her.
"I wanted her to say flat out, 'I don't want to marry you'. That way I would have a definite response from her."
Paltrow came face to face with Soiu at the start of the trial, which kicked off on 8 February (16), when she told the court she feared for her safety as some of the letters contained religious references and statements detailing her death.
In one such note, Paltrow told the judge Soiu, 66, had threatened to use a scalpel "to cut out sin" in her body, while another described her "bowing to death".
"I felt very upset by it," the mother-of-two said. "This has been a very long and very traumatic experience already."
However, in a surprising turn of events on Wednesday (17Feb16), Soiu was acquitted on all charges. Jurors also made no recommendation for the defendant to be institutionalised for psychiatric treatment, reports TMZ.com.
- Cover Media