Style & ShowbizShowbiz

Guy Martin: I said no to Top Gear because TV isn't 'real work'

ShowbizBy Sunday World
Guy Martin: I said no to Top Gear because TV isn't 'real work'

Guy Martin turned down 'Top Gear' because he doesn't see TV as "real work".

The 'Speed with Guy Martin' presenter has claimed he's more dedicated to his job as a full-time truck fitter than he is to his occasional TV projects, which is why he decided not to accept the role of co-host on the revamped motoring show.

He explained: "If I'd done 'Top Gear' I would have had to have left my job and I've got the best job in the world. To do 'Top Gear' and do it properly would mean leaving work and I can't. I don't want to leave work.

"I do all that TV stuff and it's not real work. It's bred in me that I only see real work as getting stuck in and getting your hands dirty. I don't see coming down to London and talking to people and making TV shows as real work. The only reason I do it is because they keep coming up with decent ideas."

The 34-year-old daredevil confessed he even pulled out of a day of filming at the last minute once because he was needed at work back home in Grimsby.

Guy told the Daily Mirror newspaper: "I always prioritise the trucks. Once, I was supposed to film at Goodwood. They'd booked everything. Then my boss reminded me about a big job we had. So I cancelled filming."

BBC Radio 2 DJ Chris Evans was named as the new host of 'Top Gear' earlier this year after Jeremy Clarkson was sacked for punching a producer.

However, he's yet to reveal who will be joining him on his new presenting line-up.

Meanwhile, Clarkson and his former 'Top Gear' colleagues Richard Hammond and James May are set to present a new car show for Amazon Prime.