Columbus Short fails drug test while on probation
Actor Columbus Short has failed a drugs test while on probation for his felony assault case.
The former Scandal star was sentenced to three years probation in September (15) after pleading no contest to a felony count of assault likely to cause bodily injury following a bloody fight last March (14) which left the victim unconscious with a broken nose.
The Associated Press reports that Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Leslie E. Brown received details on Thursday (21Apr16) that Short tested positive for cocaine and marijuana use during a drugs test.
He is now facing a probation violation and Judge Brown ordered him to appear at a hearing on 9 May (16) to address the test results.
Short's attorney Ludlow B. Creary II said he is hoping the actor will "complete his probation, and get on with (his) career", adding: "It's our belief that Mr. Short is going to continue to make progress."
As well as three years probation, Short was sentenced to 60 days of community labour, 26 anger management classes, and told he must pay more than $14,000 to his victim, Fenton Hyche III.
Short has since completed his anger management course but has yet to carry out the community labour.
Creary also said that no further comment will be made on Short's drug use as the actor previously spoke about it during several interviews back in 2014. At the time, Short told Access Hollywood that his use of narcotics and drinking had contributed to his departure from hit U.S. TV show Scandal.
He left the show after being charged in the felony assault case and a separate case of misdemeanor spousal battery in the summer of 2014 following a fight with his estranged wife.
- Cover Media