Style & ShowbizShowbiz

CJ de Mooi will not be extradited to the Netherlands

ShowbizBy Sunday World
CJ de Mooi will not be extradited to the Netherlands

CJ de Mooi will not be extradited to the Netherlands.

The 46-year-old quizzer - whose real name is Joseph Connagh - was detained under a European arrest warrant at Heathrow Airport last month accused of manslaughter, murder, assault and battery in Amsterdam in 1988, but Dutch authorities have now reportedly abandoned the attempt to have him sent back to the European country.

The former 'Eggheads' star's manager said: "CJ is obviously very pleased with the result of today's hearing and will continue to co-operate with the Dutch authorities until this matter is finally concluded. He would like to thank the tens of thousands of people who have contacted him via social media and in person, for their lovely words and support during this traumatic time for him."

The mastermind - who was born in South Yorkshire - revealed in his book 'CJ - The Autobiography of CJ de Mooi', which was published last September, that he may have a killed a man while he was living on the streets in Amsterdam two decades ago after he dragged the knife-wielding gentleman into a canal.

CJ, who now lives in Monmouthshire in south east Wales, wrote in his book: "He caught me on the wrong day and I just snapped. I fully suspect I killed him."

The star appeared at Westminster Magistrates' Court last month to hear his charges and was ordered to pay £5,000 security as a bail condition.

CJ's lawyer jumped to his defence and said there was "a lot of missing information" as police didn't have a named victim, date of birth or an address of where it took place.

Chris Stevens, representing CJ, explained: "The words were in his own book, the information provided in that book. There doesn't appear to be a named victim in the warrant, date of birth or even an address where this matter took place. There isn't anything to suggest the Dutch authorities are in a position to charge him with this."

CJ was reportedly first approached by Scotland Yard for questioning by Dutch police in February this year and, although he agreed to be interviewed, he said he'll only speak to officials if it's in a formal setting with the "appropriate protection."

However, he didn't hear about the matter again and "carried on with his life as normal."