Style & ShowbizShowbiz

Chris Rock writing new Oscars script

ShowbizBy Sunday World
Chris Rock writing new Oscars script

Chris Rock is "writing a new show" for the Oscars.

The 50-year-old comedian has ditched the script he initially wrote for next month's ceremony following the controversy over the lack of diversity in this year's nominations and has the full backing of show bosses for mocking the issue.

Academy Awards producer Reginald Hudlin told 'Entertainment Tonight': "He and his writing staff locked themselves in a room.

"As things got a little provocative and exciting, he said, 'I'm throwing out the show I wrote and writing a new show.' "

Confirming Chris will address the diversity issue, he added: "And, yes, the Academy is ready for him to do that.

"They're excited about him doing that. They know that's what we need. They know that's what the public wants, and we deliver what the people want.

"Chris is that thorough. He's that brilliant, and I have 1000 percent confidence that he will deliver something that people will be talking about for weeks."

The 'Top Five' star has so far stayed fairly quiet about the controversy, despite calls for him to step down as host, but he did tweet a promo for the ceremony, branding it "the white BET Awards" after nominations were announced.

Jada Pinkett-Smith, Will Smith and Spike Lee have already announced they won't be attending this year's show over the row, while Tyrese Gibson is among those who urged Chris to pull out of the show.

He said earlier this year: "There is no joke that he can crack. There is no way for him to seize the moment and come into this thing and say, 'I'm going to say this and say that I'm going to address the issue but then I'm still going to keep my gig as the host.'

"The statement that you make is that you step down."