Chris Martin: 'Beyonce rejected my music'
Coldplay frontman Chris Martin still cringes about the moment Beyonce described one of his songs as "awful".
The British band was joined by the 34-year-old for the Superbowl half-time show on Sunday (07Feb16), when they teamed up with Bruno Mars for an all-star sing-along.
Chris and Beyonce have been friends for years but he admits she hasn't always been a fan of his music efforts.
In a new interview with Rolling Stone, the 38-year-old recalled the moment he presented a track called Hook Up to Beyonce and her producer Stargate, only for her to turn it down "in the sweetest possible way".
"She told me, 'I really like you - but this is awful'," the Brit said.
Beyonce isn't the only big name artist who has turned down a Chris Martin-penned tune - the singer recently confessed the late Bowie declined a duet in 2014.
"I sent him a song to ask him to sing on it," Chris said in a tribute piece to the rock icon, who lost his battle with cancer last month (Jan16). "He called me and said, 'It's not one of your best'."
Meanwhile, the Coldplay star also used his new Rolling Stone interview to open up about the status of his amicable divorce with Gwyneth Paltrow, the mother of his two kids.
"I have a very wonderful separation-divorce," Martin said. "It's a divorce but it's a weird one. I don't think about that word very often. I don't see it that way. I see it as more like you meet someone, you have some time together and things just move through."
Gwyneth and the couple's kids, Moses and Apple, showed their support at the Super Bowl, by cheering dad's band on from a luxury box at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, California.
- Cover Media