Celine proves Vegas critics wrong
Celine Dion is “more than glad” that she decided to sign up for a Las Vegas residency.
The 47-year-old singer agreed to a three-year show at The Colosseum at Caesars Palace in Sin City back in 2011.
She made the difficult decision to postpone the remainder of the residency in 2014 when her husband René Angélil was diagnosed with throat cancer. She is planning to resume the concert shows in August this year.
However, while Celine’s show at Caesars has been hugely successful, the mother-of-three has revealed there were those who thought the move would end her career.
“A lot of people, especially in the industry, they thought it was very, very high risk, finishing my career here. It was the end of my career,” she said during an interview with NBC Nightly News. “I remember hearing that ‘the boat is going to sink again.’ They thought of that one pretty well.”
The pun was a reference to My Heart Will Go On, Celine’s world famous theme tune for the 1997 film Titanic.
Celine’s decision to agree to the residency has spawned many other music stars opting to take to the stage in Sin City.
Britney Spears is currently enjoying huge success at her Planet Hollywood residency, while Mariah Carey and Jennifer Lopez also recently announced their own plans for similar stints.
Celine is scheduled to be making her return to the Vegas stage on August 27.
And she will be doing so with René, her former manager, by her side.
"[Rene's] strong," she said. "We're creating this show together. We make changes together. He wants me back. He wants me strong and this is what we're doing together."
René has beaten the disease once before. Over the years he has also had to conquer heart problems and in June last year he stepped down as his wife’s manager to focus on his health.
- Cover Media