Style & ShowbizShowbiz

Celine Dion returns to Las Vegas

ShowbizBy Sunday World
Celine Dion returns to Las Vegas

Celine Dion paid tribute to her late husband as she took to the Las Vegas stage for the first time since his death.

The 'My Heart Will Go On' hitmaker remembered René Angélil, who tragically died last month after a battle with throat cancer, and told the crowd she knows he will be looking down on her proudly.

She said: "Through my life I only had eyes for my husband, who sat out here night after night. People thought that I was looking at him but I didn't need to because every time I closed my eyes, I felt René on stage with me - whether he was seated in his seat right there, in the balcony, backstage, or at home with the kids. He's always been on stage with me and nothing will ever change that.

"I might not hear his voice yet, but I talk to him, I think of him all the time. I feel and I know he hears me, one way or another. I know he will give me a sign for his approval or not. And now I can feel that he is telling me to zip it and start singing."

The show - which is part of the 47-year-old's residency at The Colosseum at Caesars Palace Las Vegas Hotel and Casino - began with a short message projected onto a big screen, followed by a montage of photos of René throughout his life.

The text read: "I understood that my career was in a way his masterpiece, his song, his symphony. The idea of leaving it unfinished would have hurt him terribly. I realised that if he ever left us, I would have to continue without him, for him."