Style & ShowbizShowbiz

BBC apologise to Tom Jones

ShowbizBy Sunday World
BBC apologise to Tom Jones

The BBC are "truly sorry" for upsetting Sir Tom Jones.

The 75-year-old musical legend recently claimed he was given "no idea" and "no warning" that Boy George was to replace him on 'The Voice' and the broadcaster's director of television, Danny Cohen, regrets the distress caused to the 'It's Not Unusual' hitmaker.

He said: "I've got huge respect for Tom and I'm truly sorry he's upset, because I am a big fan of his.

"I think he's a gentleman, I think he's an extraordinary figure in music and you'll have seen the huge respect that all of the artists have had for him on 'The Voice' throughout.

"These things happen over time, but I would never would want Tom to be upset and I am sorry that's the case."

And despite him being axed from 'The Voice', Danny would love to see Tom on another BBC show.

He added: "I'd like to have him back on the BBC this year, in something else. Absolutely. I hope he's back on the BBC very soon, I really do."

In a Facebook post earlier this month, Tom slammed the BBC for their lack of "duty and respect" in not informing him he wouldn't be a part of the next series of 'The Voice'.

He wrote: "I was told yesterday, with no consultation or conversation of any kind, that I would not be returning.

"Having been through plenty of transformations throughout the years, I support and admire creative change. But being informed, as a matter of duty and respect, is an important part of creative relationships."