Style & ShowbizShowbiz

Anton Du Beke 'thinks he's the star' of Strictly Come Dancing

ShowbizBy Sunday World
Anton Du Beke 'thinks he's the star' of Strictly Come Dancing

Anton Du Beke "sees himself as the star" of 'Strictly Come Dancing'.

The 49-year-old TV personality - whose real name is Anthony Beke - is considered by producers to be a crucial part of the show's success, but he is reportedly less popular among the "rank and file" members of staff who work on the programme.

An insider told The Sun newspaper: "Anton is very popular with the powers that be but less so with the rank and file.

"He sees himself as the star and expects the best from everyone.

"He can be very, very demanding to work for."

Despite being one of the most popular dancers on the show among viewers, Anton reportedly craved the presenting role vacated by Sir Bruce Forsyth.

However, he was ultimately overlooked for the coveted job in favour of Claudia Winkleman, who previously hosted the 'Strictly' spin-off 'It Takes Two'.

A source said: "Anton never kept it a secret how much he wanted Bruce's job.

"He was absolutely devastated when he got passed over and it left a massive dent in his ego."

More recently, however, Anton has been tipped to replace Len Goodman as the show's head judge.

Len said last month: "Anton would be perfect to take over from me if the time comes."

However, he recently clarified his statement, saying: "What I said was 'a good replacement - Anton, [former Strictly pro] Karen Hardy' - and it would be good if it was somebody whose roots were ballroom and Latin."