Style & ShowbizShowbiz

50 Cent's phone court ban

ShowbizBy Sunday World
50 Cent's phone court ban

50 Cent has been banned from having his cellphone in court.

A judge presiding over the 'Candy Shop' hitmaker's bankruptcy proceedings has stopped all electronic devices being used in the courtroom and conference rooms as she fears the rapper isn't taking the case seriously enough.

Her ruling came after a court appearance last month when 50 - whose real name is Curtis Jackson - posted a picture of himself with apparently fake cash in his waistband - while a hearing was still in progress.

Judge Ann Nevins warned: "There is nothing funny going on here. This is all very serious business.

"I am not trying to impede on anyone's right to exercise free speech. But I would appreciate it if we can keep the tone of this case very serious.

"You have all been advised. This is not funny.

"I want to make this very clear, that I am discouraging the use of social media to comment on this case, especially when parties are in a courtroom or in the conference room."

Despite her harsh warning, the judge praised the 40-year-old star for making progress with the case.

She said: "By being present Mr. Jackson has made significant strides toward getting this case moving."

Speaking afterwards, 50 vowed to heed the judge's words.

He said: "Instagram? Nah, that's not me anymore."

The case will return to court in May, when details of the rapper's new business deals will be disclosed, his lawyer said.

50 previously claimed his frequent cash-filled social media posts were made in a bid to preserve his reputation.

He said in court documents: "As a hip-hop artist and entertainer, it is imperative that I continue to project aspirational goals of success in order to preserve my brand and those I represent.

"What I say and what I do on social media has a direct impact on my music sales and the viewership on my television shows."