Pull out your puppy dog eyes
Making eyes appear wider is a tricky task for many women out there and when it comes to finding a look that works, where do you begin? Well we have a suggestion - the puppy dog eye. Favoured by stars like Alexa Chung and British singer Pixie Lott, this beauty look first stunned make-up lovers when they watched the video of a South Korean model and singer Hyuna transform her face simply by applying eye products.
Following in her footsteps, we're taking you through how to create the look step by step.
1. Using a black eyeliner (we recommend a sharp kohl for accuracy, and it's best to build upon), draw along your upper lashes from the inner corner. Extend the line just past your outer corner, following the downward fall of your lash line.
2. Repeat over the top of the first layer to give a heavier finish, one that you'd see when gazing into the eyes of an adorable puppy that has an ever-so-slightly sad look.
3. Reach for your gel or felt black liner this time for the finishing touches and to make the shape neat and graphic. Enhancing the small extension of the liner already there, create a downward flick - the opposite of the upwards, sweeping cat-eye look.
4. Sweep a little kohl on the outer part of your lower lash line to gently touch the liquid/gel, but keep it lighter to keep up the puppy look.
5. As with all eye make-up looks, mascara finishes it off. Choose one that extends your lashes to give a large, doe-eyed appearance in keeping with the theme. Focus on your upper lashes, with just a dot to the bottom, as you don't want the mascara to drown out the eyeliner.
There are lots of kohl eyeliners on offer, like MAC Eye Kohl and Maybelline Master Drama Kohl Liner, but it's best to test on your hand before buying so you can see how they come out. You want one that allows you to build coverage and leaves a silky, smooth finish to layer upon.
As for the gel/felt liner, we recommend Benefit Waterproof Automatic Eyeliner Pen, Rimmel London Gel Liner or L'Oreal Paris Super Liner Superstar.
Mascaras, reach for a curling one like Clinique High Impact Curling Mascara or a volumising product like Dior - Diorshow Lash Extension Effect Volume mascara.