How to: Fatten lashes, banish shine, boost lips
An ongoing series on how to do everything from pop a spot to how to achieve the perfect feline flick. From the gross to the glamorous, follow our simple beauty guide.
Plump lashes without plumping mascara
There are a million mascaras out there that promise everything from plumped up peepers to longer lashes. But we all have our old favourite, so here's how to add volume to lashes without buying a newfangled product.
1. Curl power. An obvious first step, but not everyone is a slave to the eyelash curler. Starting with a curler will make lashes appear fuller and thicker when you apply mascara and takes a matter of seconds to complete.
2. Pre-mascara. Although this sounds like a faddy product, pre-mascara actually gives your lashes a brilliant boost before you complete the look. CODE's FFL Forget Fake Lashes upgrades lashes, giving short sparse lashes a lift before mascara is applied.
Getting shiny after the gym is fine. Getting shiny at work/on a date/ at a wedding is not! Time to breakup with your glistening forehead.
1. Use a face wash with salicylic acid. This breaks down oil in pores. Super Facialist Salicylic Acid Purifying Cleansing Wash is a great choice.
2. Use an oil-free moisturiser, then a primer with oil-absorbing powders to mattify and tighten pores.
3. Go for matte foundation, with an oil-absorbing loose powder to finish.
Make lips look full
Lips like Rosie Huntington-Whiteley? Yes please!
1. Pinch lips to get blood flowing.
2. Define lips with a lip-coloured pencil and fill in. Blot.
3. Using a pearlescent highlighting pencil, emphasises your Cupid's bow and under your bottom lip. This draws lips forward.
4. Go over lips with lipstick, going right to the line. Use a brush for maximum precision.
5. Apply gloss to the centre of lips only, for a 3D effect.