UFC chairman reckons Conor McGregor will be their first $100m fighter
UFC chairman and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta has said that he expects newly crowned UFC champ Conor McGregor to be the promotion's first $100m fighter.
ESPN are reporting that Fertitta made the claim on Tuesday night, telling Darren Rovell that he expects the Dubliner to be "our first $100 millionaire."
And he added that he was only talking about in-Octagon earnings, with all external sponsor deals such as Monster Energy (or even movies) not included in the projected earnings.
As reported earlier this week, McGregor earned a huge sum for his stunning 13-second KO of Jose Aldo in Las Vegas over the weekend. Estimates of at least $5.5m have been made and the true figure may be even higher when the final pay-per-view figure comes in.
To hit the magic €100,000,000 mark, McGregor will need to continue winning for a number of years and continue to drive pay-per-view sales.
At 27, time is on his side and he is undoubtedly the biggest star in the UFC right now.
Back in October, McGregor spoke about his desire to bag a new lucrative deal from the powers that be in the UFC.
"I'm waiting on my next multi, nine-figure contract, which is en route," McGregor told The MMA Hour, as reported on Sky Sports.
"Nobody in the game has talked nine figures. That's $100 million plus. That's my contract, so, that's where I'm at and I've done it the way I've done it. Either learn from it or don't."
McGregor has earned the title 'Mystic Mac' for his ability to predict how he will take out his opponents, and it now looks like he is also correctly predicting his future earnings.