SportUFC

Conor McGregor set to fight for lightweight title at UFC 197 in March

UFCBy Sunday World
McGregor looks set to go hunting for a second belt on March 5
McGregor looks set to go hunting for a second belt on March 5

UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor could be a dual-weight title holder by St Patrick's Day as reports in the US say he will take on Rafael dos Anjos for the lightweight belt in Las Vegas on March 5.

If the reports are confirmed the Dubliner will co-headline UFC 197 with Ronda Rousey's conqueror, Holly Holm, who will defend her bantamweight title against Miesha Tate.

The UFC have not yet confirmed the card and none of the fighters have either but multiple reports suggest it is a done deal.

Dos Anjos has a 25-7 career record but the Brazilian has won his last five bouts in the UFC, beating big name fighters like Benson Henderson, Nate Diaz, Anthony Pettis and Donald Cerrone.

The fight would allow McGregor to be that rarest of things in the promotion, a two-weight champion at the same time, something UFC supremo Dana White spoke favourably about earlier this week.

"Conor has said that he would like to win the 155-pound belt and fight four times a year and defend both belts," stated White.

"If anybody can do it, Conor McGregor can. This guy has pretty done everything he said he would do. I'm interested.

"I would say if you're going to move up in weight, you have to give up the belt, but Conor has done everything he said he would do.

"He loves to fight. He really likes money, so if anybody could do it, it's probably him."

The venue for the fight is rumoured to be Mandalay Bay hotel rather than the site of his last two wins in Nevada, the MGM Grand.