SportUFC

Aldo pulls out of title fight

UFCBy Shuki Byrne
Confirmed: The much-anticipated fight will not go ahead
Confirmed: The much-anticipated fight will not go ahead

The UFC's most anticipated fight between Conor McGregor and Jose Aldo is off, it has been confirmed.

The Brazilian has pulled out of next week's Las Vegas bout due to the rib injury he received last week in training. 

It's the fifth time Aldo has pulled out of a title fight but the UFC has another fighter lined up for McGregor. 

UFC confirmed McGregor will now fight Chad Mendes (above) for the interim featherweight title on 11 July. 

"Aldo's rib is too painful and he will not be fighting," UFC president Dana White told ESPN’s SportsCenter yesterday.

"Chad Mendes will fight Conor McGregor for the interim belt. It's (Aldo's) decision. I don't feel great about it.

"We've spent a lot of money promoting this fight and a lot of people were excited.

"It's definitely disappointing."

McGregor reacted to the news in true McGregor fashion and commented: "If a man is scared for his life, we cannot force him to step inside and fight me.

"Doctors have cleared him to fight -- it's a bruise -- but he still pulled out.

"Rightfully so, the belt should be taken from him and we will contest for the interim belt or, in my opinion, the real belt."

His previous advice was: "A little bit of ibuprofen and a little bit of toughen the f**k up."

McGregor in recent day predicted a four-minute knockout. 

On Saturday he said: "There should be no reason to pull out of this contest. But if he does, that's on him and I cannot force another individual to step in there.

"If I ask myself truly, would I like to step in there and face me, I'd probably go running, too. If it's little mini Mendes, we'll smoke him, too."