The Saturday View - Van Gaal fumes as Man Utd draw

Van Gaal can't watch at Leicester
Van Gaal can't watch at Leicester

Manchester United manager believes his side blew a chance to claim top spot in the Premier League after their 1-1 draw at Leicester.

Jamie Vardy set a new Premier League record of scoring in 11 consecutive matches, before Bastian Schweinsteiger headed home his first United goal from a Daley Blind corner on the stroke of half-time.

Yet he United manager could not hide his disappointment at the end of the game as he spoke to Sky Sports.

Meanwhile, Leicester boss Claudio Ranieri admitted his side had achieved one of their main objectives for the evening:

Former Leicester striker Gary Lineker offers up this cheeky tweet on the 1-1 draw:

Leicester and Man Utd had started the day in the top two but Manchester City returned to the summit courtesy of an earlier 3-1 home victory over Southampton, although star striker Sergio Aguero was forced off with a heel injury.

The Argentina striker limped off after 64 minutes after Kevin De Bruyne's eighth City goal and Fabian Delph's first had given the hosts a commanding 2-0 interval lead.

Shane Long (below) headed home soon after the re-start to give Saints hope but Aleksandar Kolarov sealed the three points with a firm shot five minutes after Aguero's departure.

Newcastle manager Steve McClaren was feeling the heat after his side were thrashed 5-1 at Crystal Palace to drop into the relegation zone.

There were angry words on the Newcastle training ground this week following the 3-0 home defeat to Leicester, but McClaren's week got worse by the minute after Papiss Cisse had given the visitors a 10th-minute lead.

James McArthur (14), Yannick Bolasie (17) and Wilfried Zaha (41) scored before the break to set the Eagles on their way to only a second win in six league games. And Bolasie and McArthur piled the misery on McClaren with second-half goals as Palace boss Alan Pardew savoured victory against his old club.

Sunderland moved above their local rivals and out of the bottom three with a 2-0 defeat of Stoke, the second successive win for Sam Allardyce's Black Cats.

Stoke defender Ryan Shawcross was sent off for a second bookable offence after 47 minutes, but the 10-man Potters held out until Patrick van Aanholt (82) and Duncan Watmore (84) struck.

Bournemouth also moved above Newcastle on goal difference after battling back to claim a point in a 3-3 thriller with Everton.

Defender Ramiro Funes Mori netted Everton's first set-piece goal of the season before Romelu Lukaku's 12th of the campaign, and his eighth in as many Premier League games, gave Everton a 2-0 half-time lead.

Adam Smith (80) and Junior Stanislas (87) levelled in a dramatic finale before Ross Barkley put Everton back ahead deep into stoppage time, but Stanislas incredibly rescued a point for the Cherries with virtually the last touch of the match in the eighth minute of injury time.

This is how Sky Sports' Chris Kamara reacted to the goal:

Bottom club Aston Villa's misery continued as they lost 3-2 at home to Watford.

Villa were without Jack Grealish, who had been dropped after enjoying a night out in the wake of the 4-0 defeat at Everton last weekend, and Odion Ighalo fired Watford into a 17th-minute lead.

Micah Richards' first Villa goal, a powerful header four minutes before the break, restored parity and Watford lost goalkeeper Heurelho Gomes to injury after the break.

But Villa defender Alan Hutton prodded into his own net and Troy Deeney added another to make Jordan Ayew's late effort irrelevant.