Report - Liverpool linked to big-name player as he considers pay cut
The Sun is reporting that JOE HART will consider taking a drop in wages in order to secure a move to Liverpool
With his future at Manchester City seemingly bleak, Hart had been linked with a move to Everton but Toffees manager Ronald Koeman said yesterday he was not in the market for the England international.
But Liverpool, who bought keeper Loris Karius this summer only for him to pick up an injury, may feel they need to replace current No 1 Simon Mignolet and Hart would be seen by many as an upgrade on the Belgian.
And, according to the paper, the Manchester City player, who earns £150,000 a week at the Etihad, is prepared to take a pay cut in the hope of luring a bid from the Reds.
Whatever happens, it seems he won't be the main man at Man City any longer after the arrival yesterday of Claudio Bravo.
The Chile international has signed a four-year deal with City after moving from Barcelona in a deal understood to be worth around £13.75million.
The 33-year-old seems set to be installed as first choice by manager Pep Guardiola after the Spaniard's decision to drop England number one Hart this season.
Yet Bravo appears to be taking nothing for granted and expects to challenge Hart - who, for the time being at least, remains at the club - and Willy Caballero for the jersey.
Bravo told the club's website, www.mcfc.co.uk: "I'm very proud to be joining Manchester City. I know the club is building something very special and I hope I can be part of many successes in the coming years.
"It is not easy to leave a club like Barcelona where I had two fantastic years, but the opportunity to work with Pep Guardiola was too good to refuse.
"Now I will challenge the other great goalkeepers the club has and together I hope we can win many trophies."
Bravo's arrival has intensified speculation over the future of Hart, whose demotion at City has been swift.
The 29-year-old, a two-time Premier League winner, was left on the bench for City's first three games of the season with Caballero preferred.
Guardiola made clear he wanted his goalkeeper to play a key role in build-up play by being a good distributor with his feet.
Hart was recalled for Wednesday's Champions League play-off victory over Steaua Bucharest but this has been widely perceived as a potential farewell appearance.
Certainly Hart's actions after the game in acknowledging the heartfelt backing of fans did little to dispel that theory.
Aside from links to Premier League sides, Borussia Dortmund are also reported to have an interest in Hart but he only has until Wednesday to sort out his future or he may face a season as third choice behind Bravo and Caballero.