Real Madrid succeed in getting their transfer ban delayed
Real Madrid look set to splash the cash like never before next summer after getting their transfer ban suspended on appeal.
Chelsea's Eden Hazard and Manchester United keeper David De Gea look certain to be among the star names linked with a move to the Bernabeu as they look set to break transfer records with a spending spree that will reshape their squad ahead of a transfer ban in January 2017.
Real and Atletico were banned by the world governing body earlier this month from registering new signings for the next two transfer windows for breaching rules on the international transfer and registration of players aged under 18.
However, both clubs immediately appealed against the ruling - which would mean they are not be able to register any new players until the summer of 2017 after this month's window closes - and on Friday night they announced the sanction had been provisionally suspended.
Real said in a statement on their official website: "Real Madrid has announced that the FIFA Appeal Committee has decided to provisionally suspend the sanction imposed on the club."
Atletico said in a statement: "The FIFA Appeal Committee has granted the probationary suspension of the sanction imposed by the Disciplinary Committee of said body that prevented our club from signing national or foreign football players during the next two full periods of recruitment.
"The probationary suspension of said sanction shall be applied pending the outcome of the appeal filed by our club with the Appeal Committee of the maximum global governing body of football."
Barcelona were hit with a similar punishment in April 2014 and their appeal to FIFA and CAS ultimately enabled them to sign six players, including Luis Suarez, in the following transfer window while their ban was suspended.
However, the Madrid clubs will not be able to register players this summer if their appeals are rejected before the window opens.
The final decision on their appeals is currently expected to be heard ahead of the close of the summer transfer window, so the ban may still be enforced at some point ahead of next season.