Raheem Sterling stalling on new Liverpool deal

SoccerBy Kevin Palmer
Rodgers admits Sterling contract talks have stalled
Rodgers admits Sterling contract talks have stalled

Raheem Sterling's future at Liverpool has been plunged into doubt after manager Brendan Rodgers confirmed talks over a new contract for his 20-year-old winger have stalled.

Rodgers has previously said Liverpool have offered him an "incredible" offer but after further talks this week failed to reach a satisfactory conclusion the saga has been postponed until the current campaign is over.

Asked whether there was likely to be a solution found soon Rodgers said: "Not between now and the end of the season.

"It has been made clear by Raheem's representative and the boy himself he just wants to concentrate on his football and see what can be resolved in the summer.

"I am sure it will be resolved and the concentration for Raheem is now on his football and it is clear the terms of when those talks will begin again."

With contract negotiations dragging on Sterling has found himself linked with some of Europe's top clubs, with Manchester City the latest to be linked after reports on Friday they were considering a £50m bid.

"It is all speculation. It is something we can't worry ourselves on," added Rodgers.

"The boy is happy here and I repeat if you have the interest of the kid and his football development at this stage of his career this is the best place to be."

The news over Sterling's uncertain future was not ideally timed, coming on the eve of the huge clash against Manchester United at Anfield on Sunday.

Liverpool's midfield has been bolstered by the return to training of Lucas Leiva, who limped off with a groin problem 16 minutes into the Merseyside derby at Goodison Park on February 7.

The Brazil international will be assessed on Saturday to see whether he has a chance of making the squad to face United.