Man United's stance on Cristiano Ronaldo's return seems clear
Manchester United are not expecting to sign Cristiano Ronaldo from Real Madrid this summer, with Old Trafford chiefs keen to distance themselves from rumours of a world record break bid for the Portuguese superstar.
Ronaldo has told Real Madrid chiefs that he wants to leave Real Madrid this summer after he was charged with a €14.7m tax fraud fraud by Spanish authorities last week.
Subsequent reports have suggested that Ronaldo wants to make a move back to United, eight years after he left the club to move to Madrid in a world record £80m deal.
Yet United are not expecting to add one of the greatest players of all-time to their squad this summer, with Real Madrid forward Alvaro Morata and Inter Milan's Ivan Perisic still the club's top transfer priorities at this point.
The Sunday World's back page exclusive last weekend (below) revealing United manager Jose Mourinho would not prioritise an audacious move for the former has now been backed up by similar reports on Yahoo Sport and a host of UK newspapers on Wednesday.
Meanwhile, Real Madrid president Florentino Perez avoided discussing the burning question of Cristiano Ronaldo's future during the address he gave to mark his re-election on Monday evening.
However, when speaking publicly on Monday having ran unopposed to return as president for the next four years, Perez did not reference Ronaldo when discussing the current state of Los Blancos.
In quotes published on Marca's website, Perez said: "We have built a legendary team with the best players from Spain and the world, but also with many players from our youth academy.
"This is the model that will continue to define Real Madrid. When united, this club is practically indestructible."
There is still a chance that Perez could comment on Ronaldo's situation on Monday evening during an interview he is scheduled to conduct with Spanish radio station Onda Cero.