Gundogan to Man Utd rumours finally end

SoccerBy Kevin Palmer
Gundogan links with Man Utd came to nothing
Gundogan links with Man Utd came to nothing

It seemed as if Ilkay Gundogan was on his way to Manchester United earlier this summer, but those rumours have been killed after the Germany midfielder signed a new deal with Borussia Dortmund.

Sky Sports reported the 'breaking news' that Gundogan was close to agreeing a deal with United back in April, but those reports proved to be ill-informed as it was confirmed that the midfielder has agreed to stay at Dortmund.

BVB verlängert Vertrag mit @Guendogan8

— Borussia Dortmund (@BVB) July 1, 2015

Gundogan was clearly pleased to remain at Dortmund as he said: "The first day of pre-season is over, and it's great fun to work with the coaches and teammates," Gundogan said.

"I am glad that we finally have clarity and I can continue playing for Borussia Dortmund."

Rumours persist that Gundogan could join Barcelona when their transfer embargo is lifted in January, but his decision to remain at Dortmund appears to be a blow to United in a summer that saw them try and failed to sign his Dortmund team-mate and German World Cup winning defender Mats Hummels.

Meanwhile, there is no update on United's reported interest in Southampton midfielder Morgan Schneiderlin, with Arsenal still retaining an interest in signing the French midfielder.

Schneiderlin has been training with Southampton in recent days and while United have held talks over a move for the player, a deal is yet to be struck.

United have also been rumoured to be interested in signing Bayern Munich midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger, with the German club's sporting director admitting the World Cup winning is not certain to remain at his clubs despite recently claiming he was happy to stay.

"Basically, nothing is excluded. It's a crazy world," said Sammer.

"He has clearly expressed that he is an important part of the team, but let's see. We're still waiting."