Ginola recovering after quadruple heart bypass operation
David Ginola declared himself "fine" on Friday after regaining consciousness following a quadruple heart bypass operation overnight.
A tweet from Ginola's account said he had "never slept better" after his dramatic collapse while playing football on Thursday.
Hello world, never slept better. I'm fine, just need to rest a bit. Thank you so much all of you for your magnificent support.— David Ginola (@teamginola) May 20, 2016
It appears that this tweet have been authorised by Ginola, but the message posted amid his health scare yesterday was clearly not direct from the Frenchman, who was unconscious at the time this was posted.
Footy match in the midday sun, not very clever. Now having some tests done. Whoever voted for a World Cup in Qatar in the summer?— David Ginola (@teamginola) May 19, 2016
The 49-year-old former Newcastle and Tottenham winger was attending a celebrity golf tournament in Mandelieu on the French Riviera.
He was taken to the Monaco Cardio-Thoracic Centre, where he was operated on by Professor Gilles Dreyfus.
Professor Dreyfus, quoted in local newspaper Var-Matin, clarified Ginola had not suffered a heart attack but said the coronary arteries supplying blood to the heart had been affected.
"He arrived in a catastrophic state," the surgeon said. "He was unconscious and did not remember anything.
"But it is going well. I have been able to talk to him. He does not show any neurological after-effects.
"He did not have a heart attack but he had very complicated coronary lesions which required us to perform a quadruple bypass. We began the operation at 1900 and finished between 0100 and 0130 (local time, from 1800 to between midnight and 0030 BST)."
Ginola won 17 caps for France and also had spells at Aston Villa and Everton before his retirement in 2002.