SportSoccer

Former Man United star Dwight Yorke denied entry to USA

Dwight Yorke does not appear to be a threat to US national security
Dwight Yorke does not appear to be a threat to US national security

Former Manchester United striker Dwight Yorke was denied entry to the United States on Friday, Press Association Sport understands.

It is unclear whether Yorke was prevented from entering the USA due to an Iranian stamp on his passport or a visa issue.

The 45-year-old enjoyed widespread success in English football, playing for Aston Villa, United, Blackburn, Birmingham and Sunderland before retiring in 2009.

Yorke has enjoyed a varied career since then and, having this week worked for beIN Sports, was due to travel from Doha, Qatar to Trinidad and Tobago on personal business on Friday.

Sources told the Press Association the ex-striker was set to fly to Miami in transit to his homeland, only to be prevented from entering the US.

Yorke represented the 'World Stars' in a charity match against 'Iranian Stars' at the Azadi Stadium in Tehran on August 28, 2015.

Last month US President Donald Trump signed an executive order temporarily barring those from Iraq, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen entering the country.

On Thursday, Trump's administration said in court documents that it does not want a larger appeals panel to review a ruling keeping its travel ban on hold and will instead replace the ban.